Frequently Asked Questions


See our list of advisors by major to schedule an appointment or find contact information for your advisor. You can also check your advisor's schedule to see if they offer walk-in hours.


You can schedule an appointment with your advisor online. Quick questions often be handled during walk-in hours where students are seen first come, first serve (expect longer waits during the first few weeks of the semester and priority registration). Check your advisor's online schedule to see walk-in hours.



SGPP Majors/Minors

You declare your major in Criminal Justice Studies, Law, Political Science, or Public Management & Policy during specific times of the year (winter and summer).

Declare Major

Any advisor on campus can help you declare the Government & Public Policy minor. Start by contacting your major advisor.

Check out the degree requirements for each SGPP major:

The requirements for Political Science majors vary depending on your concentration:

Your Advisement Report will show you all the requirements for your major, minor, and general education and also all the classes you have completed thus far. 

Your advisement report is located in UAccess Student under “My Academics” and “View my advisement report.”  When the report appears, click on the yellow or green box to “view as pdf” (you may need to turn off your pop-up blocker in order to view the pdf version). 

It is highly recommended that you see your advisor and review the advisement report together.  

Yes. All of our undergraduate degrees require completion of a minor or second major. See your advisor for details.

Math Requirements

Yes. All SGPP majors require students to complete a Foundations Math requirement.

Criminal Justice Studies, Political Science, and Public Management & Policy Majors

  • You must complete either MATH 107, MATH 112, or a higher level math course.
  • You must also complete SBS 200; this course can also complete the foundation math requirement.   

Law Majors

  • You must complete MATH 112 or a higher level Math course. 
  • You may also complete SBS 200 to fulfill your Math requirement

No. SGPP does not accept any math substitutions for any reason.

See the MATH Placement Assessment Instructions.

Note: Math placement scores are only good for 1 year

Have a question we didn't answer?

For questions about transfer credits, language requirements, course schedules and policies be sure to check out Student Frequently Asked Questions from the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences. 

Or contact your advisor.