Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office is closed to the public, but all staff will be holding virtual office time from 8am- 5pm, Monday through Friday. Please allow up to 24 hours response time. Faculty and Adjuncts will respond as their schedules permit. Please refer to our list of contacts
Work with renowned faculty in our high-ranking graduate program with opportunities for research in political science, public administration, and public policy.
The School of Government and Public Policy at the University of Arizona promotes high-caliber research, teaching, and community outreach. Our world-class faculty have expertise in public administration, public policy, and political science.
These highly productive and widely recognized scholars publish regularly in top-ranked professional journals and prestigious university presses. They are actively engaged in a range of externally funded research projects and hold prominent leadership positions in major professional organizations.
Graduate Training & Mentorship
We welcome talented candidates from a variety of academic backgrounds. While a prior degree in political science or public administration is not necessary, it is strongly recommended that you have completed at least some course work in related fields and subjects.
Graduate training and mentorship is one of our primary objectives. The Ph.D. program is designed to give you the skills and knowledge needed to teach and conduct research at academic institutions. You can concentrate your studies in five major subfields: American politics, comparative politics, international relations, public administration and policy, and research methodology.
Benefits for Our Students
We offer our Ph.D. students:
- Renowned faculty with a broad array of research interests and specialties.
- An array of methodological specialists across the College of Social & Behavioral Sciences, with expertise in quantitative, qualitative, network, and GIS methods.
- An interdisciplinary focus, with encouragement to interact with, and take a minor subfield in, other departments.
- A competitive stipend and benefits package through assistantships, fellowships, and teaching opportunities.
- Access to SGPP research centers and initiatives.
- Travel and research funding opportunities.
If you have any questions, please contact the director of the Ph.D. Program:
SGPP Main Office: 520-621-7600