Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office is closed to the public, but all staff will be holding virtual office time from 8am- 5pm, Monday through Friday. Please allow up to 24 hours response time. Faculty and Adjuncts will respond as their schedules permit. Please refer to our list of contacts
We offer financial support to many of our Ph.D. students, including assistantships, tuition waivers, and travel funding.
The vast majority of our full-time Ph.D. students receive a comprehensive funding package through a graduate assistantship. Assistants are assigned to work with faculty members on research projects or as teaching assistants for courses in return for a stipend and a waiver of nonresident tuition charges.
Travel and Other Support
We also provide financial support for some research- and conference-related travel, for summer research fellowships, and to hire doctoral candidates to teach their own courses over summer and winter breaks.
We encourage students in all stages of the program to apply for funding from outside sources. In addition to the fellowship and grant opportunities administered by the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, there are numerous awards offered private foundations and the federal government. Such awards can provide important funding for students to undertake fieldwork or to complete dissertation writing after School funding is no longer available.
Awards range from one-time grants of a few thousand dollars to multi-year fellowships that provide tuition and stipend. Regardless of the size of the award, fellowships and grants are always notable additions to one’s CV. Students interested in applying for outside awards should discuss their plans with their advisor.
In addition, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Research Institute (SBSRI) provides a variety of services, grants, and fellowships for students. SBSRI will be able to point you towards opportunities such as those listed below.
- Jacob Javits Fellowship Program
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships Program (FLAS)
- The Fulbright U.S. Student Program
Note: Applicants to NSF grants must apply through the University of Arizona Sponsored Projects Office
- American Association of University Women, American Dissertation Fellowship
- Andrew W. Mellon Foundation/ACLS Early Career Fellowships
- Ford Foundation Diversity Fellowships
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Graduate Research Fellowship Program
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Doctoral Dissertation Improvement Grant
- Resources for the Future
- Social Science Research Council (SSRC) Abe Fellowship
- Social Science Research Council International Dissertation Research Fellowship (IDRF)
- Smith Richardson Foundation
- Morris K. Udall and Stuart L. Udall Foundation
- U.S. Institute of Peace Peace Scholar Dissertation Fellowship