Graduate Funding

We offer financial support to many of our Ph.D. students, including assistantships, tuition waivers, and travel funding.

Graduate Assistantships

The vast majority of our full-time Ph.D. students receive a comprehensive funding package through a graduate assistantship. Assistants are assigned to work with faculty members on research projects or as teaching assistants for courses in return for a stipend and a waiver of nonresident tuition charges.

Travel and Other Support

We also provide financial support for some research- and conference-related travel, for summer research fellowships, and to hire doctoral candidates to teach their own courses over summer and winter breaks.

Outside Funding

We encourage students in all stages of the program to apply for funding from outside sources. In addition to the fellowship and grant opportunities administered by the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences, there are numerous awards offered private foundations and the federal government. Such awards can provide important funding for students to undertake fieldwork or to complete dissertation writing after School funding is no longer available.  

Awards range from one-time grants of a few thousand dollars to multi-year fellowships that provide tuition and stipend. Regardless of the size of the award, fellowships and grants are always notable additions to one’s CV. Students interested in applying for outside awards should discuss their plans with their advisor.

In addition, the College of Social and Behavioral Sciences Research Institute (SBSRI) provides a variety of services, grants, and fellowships for students. SBSRI will be able to point you towards opportunities such as those listed below.

Federal Government


Note: Applicants to NSF grants must apply through the University of Arizona Sponsored Projects Office