Become an SGPP Peer Mentor
Do you enjoy working with other students? Are you looking for a great leadership opportunity? Apply to be a Peer Mentor for the School of Government and Public Policy!
What are Peer Mentors?
The SGPP Peer Mentors assist our freshmen and transfer students with the transition to the University of Arizona. They will facilitate transfer socials (orientations), prepare and give presentations on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community college and a four-year institution, etc. They will also attend the freshmen orientations and assist students with course registration. During the academic year they will check in with students and plan extracurricular activities.
Our peer mentors are paid $13.85 per hour (part-time, hours vary)
- Must be able to commit to working April 2023 - May 2024 and attend all dates listed on the attachment under "Application information" below.
- Criminal Justice Studies, Law, Political Science or Public Management and Policy major in SGPP
- Upon completion of Spring 2022 semester, be in Junior or Senior standing and have completed at least one semester at the University of Arizona
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills - public speaking is required
- Highly dependable, punctual, and professional
- Knowledgeable of university resources, policies, and procedures
- Knowledgeable about campus resources available to freshmen and transfer students
- Proficient in document design, Microsoft PowerPoint and UAccess Student
- Comply with FERPA regulations
- Research information and prepare Powerpoint presentation on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community college and a four-year institution, etc.
- Attend freshmen orientation and assist with student registration (must be able to commit to attending all sessions)
- Contact and check-in with CJS, LAW, PMPC, and POL freshmen and transfer students during Fall 2023 and Spring 2024 semesters
- Assist with recruiting events
- Be a point of contact for freshmen and transfer students
- Be a representative of the University of Arizona and the School of Government and Public Policy
- Track and document all communication with students and report to SGPP advising center administrative assistant on a regular basis
- Gather information for SGPP student bulletin board
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Applications for the 2023-2024 Peer Mentor position are now open!
If you meet the minimum qualifications, please submit an APPLICATION via Handshake - search for "SGPP Peer Mentor".
If you have questions, please contact Sabryna Jaimez at email@example.com. If selected for an interview, you will be asked to complete a short presentation/workshop.
Application deadline: Monday, March 20, 2023 @ 12:00 pm.
Please review the Position Description before applying. Your application will need to include the following:
1. Your resume.
2. A cover letter explaining why you a good fit for the position.