Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office is closed to the public, but all staff will be holding virtual office time from 8am- 5pm, Monday through Friday. Please allow up to 24 hours response time. Faculty and Adjuncts will respond as their schedules permit. Please refer to our list of contacts
Become an SGPP Peer Mentor
Do you enjoy working with other students? Are you looking for a great leadership opportunity? Apply to be a Peer Mentor for the School of Government and Public Policy!
What are Peer Mentors?
The SGPP Peer Mentors assist our freshmen and transfer students with the transition to the University of Arizona. They will facilitate transfer socials (orientations), prepare and give presentations on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community college and a four-year institution, etc. They will also attend the freshmen orientations and assist students with course registration. During the academic year they will check in with students and plan extracurricular activities. They will also play a role in recruiting events, both on and off campus.
Our peer mentors are paid $11.00 per hour (part-time, hours vary)
- Must be able to commit to working May 2019-May 2020 and attend all dates listed on the attachment under "mandatory dates" below.
- Criminal Justice Studies, Law, Political Science or Public Management and Policy major in SGPP
- Upon completion of Spring 2018 semester, be in Junior or Senior standing and have completed at least one semester at the University of Arizona
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills - public speaking is required
- Highly dependable, punctual, and professional
- Knowledgeable of university resources, policies, and procedures
- Knowledgeable about campus resources available to freshmen and transfer students
- Proficient in document design, Microsoft PowerPoint and UAccess Student
- Comply with FERPA regulations
- Research information and prepare Powerpoint presentation on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community college and a four-year institution, etc.
- Organize and facilitate all transfer socials (must be able to commit to attending all sessions)
- Attend freshmen orientation and assist with student registration (must be able to commit to attending all sessions)
- Contact and check in with CJS, LAW, PMPC, and POL freshmen and transfer students during Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 semesters
- Assist with recruiting events
- Be a point of contact for freshmen and transfer students
- Be a representative of the University of Arizona and the School of Government and Public Policy
- Track and document all communication with students and report to SGPP advising center administrative assistant on a regular basis
- Gather information for SGPP student bulletin board
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Applications for the 2019-2020 Peer Mentors have closed. Please check in Spring 2020 to apply for the next cycle.
If you have questions, please contact Mark Barnard at firstname.lastname@example.org.