Do you enjoy working with other students? Are you looking for a great leadership opportunity? Apply to be a Peer Mentor for the School of Government and Public Policy!
What are Peer Mentors?
The SGPP Peer Mentors assist our freshmen and transfer students with the transition to the University of Arizona. They will facilitate transfer socials (orientations), prepare and give presentations on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community colleges and four-year institutions, etc. They will also attend the freshmen orientations and assist students with course registration. During the academic year, they will check in with students and plan extracurricular activities.
Our Peer Mentors are paid $14.50 per hour (part-time, typically 10 hours per week)
- Must be able to commit to working April 2024 - May 2025 and attend all dates listed on the attachment under "Application Information" below.
- Must major in one of the following four: Political Science, Law, Public Management and Policy, or Criminal Justice.
- Upon completion of the Spring 2023 semester, be in Junior or Senior standing and have completed at least one semester at the University of Arizona.
- Minimum GPA of 2.5
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills as public speaking is required.
- Highly dependable, punctual, and professional.
- Knowledgeable of university resources, policies, and procedures.
- Knowledgeable about campus resources available to freshmen and transfer students, and is comfortable pointing students in the direction of necessary resources.
- Proficient in document design, Microsoft PowerPoint and UAccess Student.
- Comply with FERPA regulations
- Research information and prepare a Powerpoint presentation on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community colleges and four-year institutions, etc.
- Attend freshmen orientation and assist with student registration (must be able to commit to attending all sessions)
- Contact and check in with CJS, LAW, PMPC, and POL freshmen and transfer students during Fall 2024 and Spring 2025 semesters
- Assist with recruiting events
- Be a point of contact for freshmen and transfer students
- Be a representative of the University of Arizona and the School of Government and Public Policy
- Track and document all communication with students and report to SGPP advising center administrative assistant on a regular basis
- Gather information for the SGPP student bulletin board
- Other duties as assigned
How to Apply
Applications for the 2024-2025 Peer Mentor position will open in February 2024!
If you meet the minimum qualifications, please submit an APPLICATION via Handshake - search for "SGPP Peer Mentor".
If you have questions, please contact Sabryna Jaimez at firstname.lastname@example.org. If selected for an interview, you will be asked to complete a short presentation/workshop.
Application deadline: Monday, March 20, 2024 @ 12:00 pm.
Please review the Position Description before applying. Your application will need to include the following:
1. Your resume.
2. A cover letter explaining why you are a good fit for the position.