SGPP Interns Contribute Greatly to Our Community
The School of Government & Public Policy students interned for over 50,000 hours at nonprofit organizations and government agencies in Tucson, and beyond, this past year. From internships with the Arizona Superior Court to the International Rescue Committee, close to 400 SGPP students each year gain career experience while contributing their knowledge and skills to organizations.... see more UA Interns Contribute Greatly to Our Community
Internships are an important part of the School of Government and Public Policy’s curriculum. Internships offer students a chance to work in an area of interest and allow them the time and experience necessary to evaluate their future career opportunities.
- Increase your ability to find employment
- Opportunity to "test drive" a career
- Accumulate new skills
- Gain experience in your field
- Develop a network of professional contacts
SGPP Internship Application
Enrollment in fall internship courses is now closed. The Spring 2018 Internship Application will be posted in late October 2018.
As soon as a student has secured an internship, s/he should fill out the Internship Application for credit. Once it has been approved, the Internship Coordinator, Susan Warren, will enroll the student in the course.
SGPP Internship Requirements
- SGPP Major or minor
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher
- Completed at least one semester at UA
- Have earned 30 or more credits (Freshman not eligible for internship credit.)
Requirements by Major
- Criminal Justice majors are REQUIRED to complete a 3 unit internship (PA 493).
- Public Management & Policy are REQUIRED to complete a 3 unit internship (PA 393).
- Double majors in CJS & PMPC must complete an internship for each major.
- Political Science, Law majors and SGPP minors are encouraged to enroll in internships for upper division elective credit.
- Political Science majors and GPP minors will be enrolled in POL 393.
- Law majors will be enrolled in LAW 393 through the College of Law.
SGPP Internship Credit
SGPP credit is only given for approved internships with 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations or government agencies.
POL 393 and PA 393 and PA 493 are upper division internship classes that may be taken for 1-6 units of credit. These units may be either elective credits or credits that apply to a major or minor; speak to an academic advisor in your major to find out how these credits apply toward your program of study. After finding an internship, the Internship Coordinator will enroll you in the appropriate internship course.
- One unit of credit is awarded for 45 hours of internship work.
- For a 3 credit internship, 135 internship hours need to be completed in one semester.
- Internship Hours must be completed within the designated dates of your course enrollment.
NOTE: NO RETROACTIVE INTERNSHIP CREDIT WILL BE GRANTED (NO EXCEPTIONS).
Find an Internship
Finding an internship is similar to the process of securing employment. Students need to contact organizations of interest and apply for an internship in the same way that they would a job.
1. Plan ahead! Depending on location, apply 2-12 months before your start date.
2. Understand internship eligibility and requirements, see above.
3. Prepare resume and cover letter (UA Career Development office can help).
4. Research internship options and apply to multiple organizations (at least 5).
- View pre-approved SGPP internships
- View the UA Career Development information and search internships on Handshake.
- Search online for 501(c)(3) non-profit or government agencies in your interest area.
- Read about your classmates experiences Intern Spotlights
5. Internship Approval and Acceptance
- Internships found at organizations on the SGPP website are preapproved.
- If you have found an internship NOT on our website, you must get approval for the internship submitting the Internship Description to Susan Warren, the Internship Coordinator.
- Law majors wanting to enroll in a LAW internship, please contact Keith Swisher, BA in Law Director.
International students must apply for and receive Curricular Practical Training (CPT) approval from International Student Services (ISS) before participating. More information can be found on the ISS website under F-1 Student Employment: Curricular Practical Training.
Enroll in Internship Course (PA 393, PA 493, POL 393)
1. Complete the SGPP Internship Application with your site supervisor once you have been offered an internship and it has been approved. Law majors wanting to enroll in a LAW internship, please contact Keith Swisher, BA in Law Director.
2. Submit completed and signed application to Internship Coordinator, Susan Warren, either by scanning it as one document and emailing it or bring to Social Sciences 305. See Wiseadvising for office hours.
3. The Internship Coordinator enrolls you in the appropriate course (PA 393, PA 493, POL 393).
4. Pay UA course tuition and check your UAccess schedule for enrollment accuracy.
5. On D2L, read course syllabus and follow all course requirements.
International Internships – Scholarships available. For more information, email Internship Coordinator, Susan Warren
Tuition, Fees, and Registration Deadlines