Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office is closed to the public, but all staff will be holding virtual office time from 8am- 5pm, Monday through Friday. Please allow up to 24 hours response time. Faculty and Adjuncts will respond as their schedules permit. Please refer to our list of contacts
To receive academic credit for an internship, you must:
- Be an SGPP major or minor
- Have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher
- Completed at least one semester at UA
- Have earned 30 or more credits (freshman not eligible for internship credit.)
Requirements by Major
- Criminal Justice (CJS) majors are REQUIRED to complete a 3 unit internship course (PA 493). Up to 6 internship credits can count toward major elective credit.
- Public Management & Policy (PMPC) majors are REQUIRED to complete a 3 unit internship course (PA 393). Up to 6 internship credits can count toward major elective credit.
- CJS & PMPC double majors must complete an internship for each major.
- Political Science majors & SGPP minors are encouraged to enroll in internships for upper division elective credit (POL 393).
Law majors will enroll in internships through the B.A in Law office. Contact Linus Kafka, Assistant Director, Careers and Outreach, to receive internship enrollment information.
International students must apply for and receive Curricular Practical Training approval from International Student Services before participating. More information can be found on the International Student Services website under F-1 Student Employment: Curricular Practical Training.
SGPP Internship Credit
SGPP internship course credit is only given for approved internships with 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations or government agencies. The hours that are required for completion of an internship are designed to mirror the number of hours that a student would spend on a challenging upper division course (class time + assignments).
- One unit of academic credit is awarded for 45 hours of internship work (40 on-site internship hours + 5 hours work on course assignments.)
- For a 3 credit internship, 120 hours on-site internship work + 15 hours course assignments = 135 hours.
- Internship hours must be completed within the designated dates of your course enrollment.
- No retroactive internship credit will be granted.
Two Components of the SGPP Internship
Component One: Internship at nonprofit organization or government agency
Component Two: Enrollment in academic course (work done through D2L, no in-person class)
Component One: Find an Internship
Finding an internship is similar to the process of securing employment. You need to contact organizations of interest and apply for an internship in the same way that you would a job.
- Plan ahead. Depending on location, start your search 4-12 months before your planned start date.
- Prepare a resume and cover letter (UA Career Development office can help).
- Research internship options and apply to multiple organizations (at least 5).
Where to find internships:
- View pre-approved SGPP internships
- View the UA Career Development information and search internships on Handshake.
- Search online for 501(c)(3) non-profit or government agencies in your interest area.
Getting an internship approved:
- Find an internship with substantial responsibilities directly related to your major.
- Organizations on the SGPP website in a student’s major area are usually approved for SGPP credit.
- If you have found an internship NOT on our website, you must complete the SGPP Internship Work Plan and submit it online for approval.
- Final approval for all internships will be based on the thoughtful, thorough completion and submission of the Work Plan before the beginning of the enrollment semester or summer session.
International Internships – For more information, view the internships on the Study Abroad website.
Component Two: Complete Work Plan & Apply to be Enrolled
After finding an internship, you will:
- complete the SGPP Internship Work Plan (available on the Apply for Internship Credit page)
- work with your site supervisor to complete the Work Plan
- submit your Work Plan on the Apply page
The Internship Coordinator will:
- review your Work Plan
- if Work Plan is approved, enroll you in the appropriate internship course depending on your major (PA 393/493, POL 393)
- if your Work Plan is not approved, the Internship Coordinator will contact you by email.
DEADLINE: Submit Work Plan online before the start of each semester or summer session.
Internship Course - PA 393, PA 493 and POL 393
Students enrolled in an SGPP internship course will:
- Pay UA course tuition and check your UAccess schedule for enrollment accuracy.
- Engage in on-site internship work for 40 hours per credit hour. (120 on-site hours for a 3 credit internship)
- Spend a minimum of 5 hours per credit hour on course work over the enrollment period. (15 course work hours for a 3 credit internship)
- Carefully review the syllabus, announcements and all course assignments posted on D2L.
No textbook is required for this course and there are no in-person class meetings.