Until further notice, the University of Arizona, in accordance with the guidelines recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, encourages all employees to work remotely. Our office is closed to the public, but all staff will be holding virtual office time from 8am- 5pm, Monday through Friday. Please allow up to 24 hours response time. Faculty and Adjuncts will respond as their schedules permit. Please refer to our list of contacts
Teaching English Certification
Interested in Teaching English abroad? Get funding to take the UA TEFL Certificate Course!
About the Program
The UA Center for English as a Second Language (CESL) Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL/TESOL) Certificate Program helps those who wish to teach English. These teacher training programs are designed to expand and update English language teaching skills depending on one’s career goals. The following programs are available:
- 120-hour ONLINE TEFL/TESOL Certificate - Available year-round. The total cost of the 120-hour Online TEFL program is $485 tuition + $65 application/technology & mailing fee.
- 20-hour In-Person Practicum Supplement - Five sessions per year. Optional to complete after the TEFL certification. Total cost for the 20 hour In-Person Practicum Supplement is $410 tuition + $50 application/technology fee.
- 100-hour Intensive TEFL/TESOL Certificate - In-person & Summer only - See dates below. Total cost of the 100-hour Intensive TEFL/TESOL Certification in $995 + $50 application/technology fee.
The School of Government & Public Policy and the Center for English as a Second Language are proud to offer SGPP students a scholarship of up to $800 toward the UA TEFL Certificate Courses. This certification may be of particular interest to students planning careers in international relations or foreign affairs.
SGPP will provide a payment of up to $800 directly to the TEFL Summer Certificate Program. Recipients will be responsible for the remaining tuition/application fee. SGPP will notify funding recipients, and then they will need to formally apply to the program and pay their portion. After they have paid their portion, SGPP will pay the remaining $800 directly to TEFL.
Summer Intensive Program Dates
The Summer 2021 100-hour Intensive TEFL/TESOL Certificate program has been cancelled. Please review other program options
Applications for the 120-hour ONLINE TEFL/TESOL Certificate and 20-hour In-Person Practicum Supplement are open year round.
Please check back soon for Summer 2022 100-hour intensive program and funding information.
Benefits of TEFL Certification
- Once certified, you can get international experience by seeking opportunities to teach English abroad
- Teaching experience looks great on a resume (shows leadership, communication and organizational skills, not to mention to ability to successfully work with people who might not speak your language)
- Become more competitive for international careers and/or Peace Corps
- CESL can offer job placement assistance for TEFL related positions.
Requirements for Funding
- You must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75, be in junior or senior standing, and be majoring in one of the undergraduate programs in the School of Government and Public Policy.
- You must be actively enrolled in classes during the spring and summer OR spring and fall semesters in order to be eligible. Students graduating in May are not eligible for Summer program funding.
- You must have at least two years of University experience and be competent in written and spoken English.
- The funding will be given on the basis of financial need, academic achievement and/or potential for educational and career success.
- You must be able to demonstrate an interest in a career in international relations, foreign affairs, teaching English, and/or Peace Corps.
How to Apply for Funding
Complete the online application:
Once you have completed the online application, please email Mark Barnard, email@example.com to verify application submission.
As part of your online application, you will be asked to upload the following:
- A brief statement answering the following question (500 words): Please explain how this TEFL training will help you with your academic and career aspirations as it pertains to your major course of study.
- Current Resume