The Washington Center: National Security Seminar Program
The School of Government and Public Policy has funding available to sponsor eligible students to attend an academic seminar program in Washington D.C. While this program will not count for academic credit, it is an essential resource for college students interested in learning more about what goes on behind the scenes in the nation’s capital. Combining lectures, site visits, tours and special events, it is one of the best ways to see the impact of the political process and learn how national leaders address important issues.
Funding is available to cover the seminar program fee and a $500 bursars stipend to assist with airfare costs. Housing is provided and included in the program fee cost that is fully funded by SGPP. The seminar program fee will be paid by SGPP directly to the Washington Center. Please note the seminar program fee cost does not include food, Washington DC city travel, or personal expenses.
Seminar details can be found on the Washington Center National Security Seminar Webpage
You must meet the following requirements to apply for SGPP sponsored participation in the Inside Washington Academic Seminar:
- Be a declared SGPP major (Law, Criminal Justice Studies, Public Management and Policy, or Political Science)
- Be in junior or senior standing (minimum 60 units completed)
- Have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75
- Currently attending the UA main campus
All stipends are credited to your Bursars Account. Deficits on the Bursars account will be satisfied before a refund will be issued to a student.
All student travelers are held to the Student Code of Conduct standards while representing the UA at off-campus events/locations.
How to Apply
Complete the online application (Application closes Monday, March 2nd, 2020)
As part of your application, you will need to upload the following documents:
- Résumé (include current education AND career, scholarship and volunteer experience)
- Brief statement answering the following question (500 words): How will this program help you achieve your future professional interests?