Funding Application Open Dates for Summer 2018
Monday, April 30, 2018- Monday, May 21, 2018 at 9:00am
** Application materials submitted after the deadline will not be considered.**
Interested in Teaching English as a Foreign Language? Staying in Tucson this summer?
The total cost of the 100-hour TEFL program is $995 tuition + $50 application/technology fee. SGPP will provide a payment of $800 directly to the TEFL Summer Certificate Program. Recipients will be responsible for the remaining $245 tuition/application fee. SGPP will notify funding recipients, and then they will need to formally apply to the program and pay their portion. After they have paid their portion, SGPP will pay the remaining $800 directly to TEFL.
TEFL Certification Overview
The Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL/TESOL) Certificate Program helps those who wish to teach English. The University of Arizona Center for English as a Second Language offers teacher training programs to expand and update English language teaching skills depending on one’s career goals. TEFL Website: http://www.cesl.arizona.edu/100-tefl
Students can choose the session for which they want to enroll:
- Summer 1: June 8- July July 7, 2018
- Summer 2: July 6- Aug. 4, 2018
- Detailed Course Schedule
Benefits of TEFL Certification
- Once certified, students can get international experience by seeking opportunities to teach English abroad
- Teaching experience looks great on a resume (shows leadership, communication and organizational skills, not to mention to ability to successfully work with people who might not speak your language)
- Become more competitive for international careers and/or Peace Corps
- Please note: The TEFL certification does not place students in teaching positions.
Requirements for Funding
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.75, be in junior or senior standing, and be majoring in one of the undergraduate programs in the School of Government and Public Policy.
- Criminal Justice Studies, Law, Political Science or Public Management & Policy
- Students must be actively enrolled in classes during the spring and summer OR spring and fall semesters in order to be eligible. Students graduating in May 2018 are not eligible for funding.
- Applicants must have at least two years of University experience and be competent in written and spoken English.
- The funding will be given on the basis of financial need, academic achievement and/or potential for educational and career success.
- Students must be able to demonstrate an interest in a career in international relations, foreign affairs, teaching English, and/or Peace Corps.
How to Apply for Funding
Complete the ONLINE APPLICATION. As part of your online application, you will be asked to upload the following:
- A brief statement answering the following question (500 words): Please explain how this TEFL training will help you with your academic and career aspirations as it pertains to your major course of study.
- Current Resume
Students will be notified of acceptance in to the programs by Friday, May 25, 2018.