SGPP Interns Contribute Greatly to Our Community
The School of Government & Public Policy students interned for over 50,000 hours at nonprofit organizations and government agencies in Tucson, and beyond, this past year. From internships with the Arizona Superior Court to the International Rescue Committee, close to 400 SGPP students each year gain career experience while contributing their knowledge and skills to organizations.... see more UA Interns Contribute Greatly to Our Community
Internships are an important part of the School of Government and Public Policy’s curriculum. Internships offer students a chance to work in an area of interest and allow them the time and experience necessary to evaluate their future career opportunities.
STUDENTS - READ ALL INFORMATION ON THIS PAGE BEFORE APPLYING FOR INTERNSHIP CREDIT.
- Increase your ability to find employment
- Opportunity to "test drive" a career
- Accumulate new skills
- Gain experience in your field
- Develop a network of professional contacts
2. SGPP Internship Requirements
- SGPP Major or minor
- Cumulative GPA 2.0 or higher
- Completed at least one semester at UA
- Have earned 30 or more credits (Freshman not eligible for internship credit.)
Requirements by Major
- Criminal Justice majors are REQUIRED to complete a 3 unit internship (PA 493).
- Public Management & Policy are REQUIRED to complete a 3 unit internship (PA 393).
- Double majors in CJS & PMPC must complete an internship for each major.
- Political Science, Law majors and SGPP minors are encouraged to enroll in internships for upper division elective credit.
- Political Science majors and GPP minors will be enrolled in POL 393.
- Law majors will be enrolled in LAW 493A.
3. SGPP Internship Credit
SGPP credit is only given for approved internships with 501(c)(3) nonprofit organizations or government agencies.
POL 393 and PA 393 and PA 493 are upper division internship classes that may be taken for 1-6 units of credit. These units may be either elective credits or credits that apply to a major or minor; speak to an academic advisor in your major to find out how these credits apply toward your program of study. After finding an internship and submitting the SGPP Internship Application (see below), the Internship Coordinator will enroll you in the appropriate internship course.
- One unit of academic credit is awarded for 45 hours of internship work.
- For a 3 credit internship, 135 internship hours need to be completed in one semester.
- Internship Hours must be completed within the designated dates of your course enrollment.
NOTE: NO RETROACTIVE INTERNSHIP CREDIT WILL BE GRANTED (NO EXCEPTIONS).
4. Find an Internship
Finding an internship is similar to the process of securing employment. Students need to contact organizations of interest and apply for an internship in the same way that they would a job.
1. Plan ahead! Depending on location, apply 2-12 months before your start date.
2. Understand internship eligibility and requirements, see above.
3. Prepare resume and cover letter (UA Career Development office can help).
4. Research internship options and apply to multiple organizations (at least 5).
- View pre-approved SGPP internships
- View the UA Career Development information and search internships on Handshake.
- Search online for 501(c)(3) non-profit or government agencies in your interest area.
- Read about your classmates experiences Intern Spotlights
5. Internship Approval and Acceptance
- Internships found at organizations on the SGPP website are preapproved.
- If you have found an internship NOT on our website, you must ask your internship supervisor to complete the Internship Description and return it to Susan Warren, the Internship Coordinator for approval.
- Law majors will enroll in internships through the BA in Law office. Please contact BA Law Assistant Director, Mark Blair to receive the internship application.
International students must apply for and receive Curricular Practical Training (CPT) approval from International Student Services (ISS) before participating. More information can be found on the ISS website under F-1 Student Employment: Curricular Practical Training.
5. Enroll in Internship Course (PA 393, PA 493, POL 393)
1. Complete the SGPP Internship Application (below) with your site supervisor once you have been offered an internship and it has been approved. Law majors wanting to enroll in an internship, please contact BA Law Assistant Director, Mark Blair to receive the internship application.
- If you have found an internship NOT on our website, you must ask your internship supervisor to complete the Internship Description and return it to Susan Warren, the Internship Coordinator for approval BEFORE completing the SGPP Internship Application.
2. After having completed the SGPP Internship Application with your supervisor, scan it as one document, and download it to your computer. Return to this website, click on the Submit button (below) and attach your application.
3. The Internship Coordinator reviews your application and enrolls you in the appropriate course (PMPC majors - PA 393, CJS majors - PA 493, POL majors - POL 393).
4. Pay UA course tuition and check your UAccess schedule for enrollment accuracy.
5. On D2L, read course syllabus and follow all course requirements.
SGPP Internship Application
If you have found an internship NOT on our website, you must ask your internship supervisor to complete the Internship Description and return it to Susan Warren, the Internship Coordinator for approval BEFORE completing the SGPP Internship Application.
Spring 2019 Internships - Now closed
Note: After you have read and understand all of the information on this webpage, print out the application (when it is available) to fill out with your internship supervisor. Once your application is complete, scan it as one document (not separate pages), download it to your computer, save it as a PDF, and submit it below.
The Summer 2019 SGPP Internship Application will be posted on the website in mid-March.
Preferred Application Submission Dates for Summer 2019: TBA
Tuition, Fees, and Registration Deadlines