**Applications are now being accepted for the Summer 2017/Fall 2017/Spring 2018 academic year.**
Application Deadline is Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9am
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered for this position
Rate of Pay: $10 an hour (part-time, hours vary)
The SGPP Peer Mentors assist our freshmen and transfer students with the transition to the University of Arizona. They will facilitate transfer socials (orientations), prepare and give presentations on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community college and a four-year institution, etc. They will also attend the freshmen orientations and assist students with course registration. During the academic year they will check in with students and plan extracurricular activities. They will also play a role in recruiting events, both on and off campus.
What is a Transfer Social?
A Transfer Social is an orientation for our transfer students. At the Transfer Social students will learn about important university resources, dates and deadlines, how to use the UAccess system, and how to get involved with clubs and organizations. They will also meet with their academic advisor at the Transfer Social to review their transfer credits and receive course recommendations.
- Must be able to commit to working May 2017-May 2018 and attend all dates listed on the attachment under "mandatory dates" below.
- Criminal Justice Studies, Law, Political Science or Public Management and Policy major in SGPP
- Upon completion of Spring 2017 semester, be in Junior or Senior standing and have completed at least one semester at the University of Arizona
- Minimum 2.5 GPA
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills - public speaking is required
- Highly dependable, punctual, and professional
- Knowledgeable of university resources, policies, and procedures
- Knowledgeable about campus resources available to freshmen and transfer students
- Proficient in document design, Microsoft PowerPoint and UAccess Student
- Comply with FERPA regulations
- Research information and prepare Powerpoint presentation on university resources, policies, and procedures, the UAccess system, the differences between community college and a four-year institution, etc.
- Organize and facilitate all transfer socials (must be able to commit to attending all sessions)
- Attend freshmen orientation and assist with student registration (must be able to commit to attending all sessions)
- Contact and check in with CJS, LAW, PMPC, and POL freshmen and transfer students during Fall 2017 and Spring 2018 semesters
- Assist with recruiting events
- Be a point of contact for freshmen and transfer students
- Be a representative of the University of Arizona and the School of Government and Public Policy
- Track and document all communication with students and report to SGPP advising center administrative assistant on a regular basis
- Gather information for SGPP student bulletin board
- Other duties as assigned
See ATTACHMENT for Mandatory Summer Orientation Dates
How to Apply
If you meet the minimum qualifications, please submit an APPLICATION. If you have questions, please contact Stacy Henegar at firstname.lastname@example.org. If selected for an interview, you will be asked to prepare a short PowerPoint presentation.
Application deadline: Friday, March 10, 2017 at 9am
Applicants will be notified via email, if selected to move forward in the interview process by Monday, March 20, 2017.