Frequently Asked Questions

Below and at the links to the right, you will find answers to many frequently asked questions relating to undergraduates.

Are you interested in becoming an SGPP student? Contact Mark Barnard, the SGPP Undergraduate Program Coordinator to schedule an informational meeting. 

1. Who is my academic advisor and how can I contact him/her?

Law Majors:

Students with last names A-K 
Kristen Kiepke,

Students with last names L-Z 
Justin Betts,

Refer to LAW advising office hours on the Wise Advising website.

Political Science Majors:

Students with last names A-K
Michael Greeley,

Students with last names L-Z 
Elizabeth Santander,

Refer to POL advising office hours on the Wise Advising website.

Public Management and Policy:

Students with the last name A-K
Christopher Cruz,

Students with last names L-Z
Sylvia Muñoz,

Refer to PMPC advising office hours on the Wise Advising website.

Criminal Justice Studies Majors:

Students with the last name A-K
Christopher Cruz,

Students with last names L-Z 
Sylvia Muñoz,

Refer to CJS advising office hours on the Wise Advising website.

GPP Minor:

Students with last names A-K 
Michael Greeley,

Students with last names L-Z 
Elizabeth Santander,

Refer to GPP advising office hours on the Wise Advising website.

a.  When can I see my academic advisor?

  • You can see your advisor by making an appointment or by coming to their walk-in hours. Please note that some matters require an appointment and cannot be dealt with during walk-in hours.   Walk-in hours are for quick questions.  Appointments can be scheduled online or by phone.  To view walk-in hours, view the schedule on the Wise Advising website
  • No appointment is required to see an advisor during walk-in hours; students are seen on a first-come, first-served basis. During busy times such as the first few weeks of the semester and priority registration period, expect to wait an hour or more to get in to see the advisor.

2. Changing Your Course Schedule:

a. If I don't like one of my classes, is it okay to just stop going to class?

  • No! If you stop going to class without dropping the class, you will receive an "E" grade. Through the fourth week of classes in the fall and spring semesters, you may drop via Uaccess, and the class will be deleted from your record. After the fourth week of classes, you may withdraw if you are passing the course using a Change of Schedule form. You will need your instructor's signature in order to withdraw from the class. You will receive a "W" in the class. After the 8th week of classes, you may withdraw from a class only if you submit a Late Change Petition and it is approved. You must document reasons beyond your control that caused you to miss earlier drop or withdrawal dates. The Late Change Petition can be picked up in Douglass 101.

b. How can I find out the deadlines for dropping and adding classes?

  • Deadlines can be found at the University Calendar online. It is your responsibility to know what the University deadlines.

c. I dropped one class and added another class using an add/drop form. How can I check to make sure that these changes in my class schedule were definitely made?

  • ALWAYS check your schedule in UAccess after you have made changes. It is your responsibility to do so! It is also wise to check your schedule on Uaccess several times a semester to make sure that it is correct. You will be responsible for all classes you are registered for, so when you drop or add a class, check to make sure the changes were made. Keep a copy of the Change of Schedule (add/drop) form and all other UA forms.

d. I was registered for a class that I never attended and now I have received an "E" grade, what can I do?

  • You will need to file for a retroactive withdrawal from the course. In order to do this you must file a General Petition. You may pick up General Petition paperwork from your major advisor.  Per the retroactive withdrawal policy, there is typically a one year time limit to pursue the retroactive withdrawal.  Learn more information about the General Petition.

e. What happens if I don't meet the deadline to drop a class?

  • After the fourth week of classes, you may still withdraw from the class, but you will need your instructor's signature on the Change of Schedule (add/drop) form and you must be passing the class. You will receive a "W" on your transcript. After the eighth week of classes, you must file a Late Change Petition in order to withdraw from a class. You must be able to document reasons why you did not meet earlier deadlines to drop or withdraw in order for your petition to be considered. See your major advisor for more information.

3. Language Requirements:

a. How many second language classes do I need to take to fulfill the requirement?

  • The number of second language classes that you need to fulfill the requirement varies by degree. Most BA degrees require 4th semester proficiency in a second language. Our BA in political science with a specialization in foreign affairs requires 6th semester proficiency.  All other BA options in political science require 4th semester proficiency.  All BS degrees require 2nd semester proficiency. This is the only requirement that is based upon proficiency. You can complete this requirement in various different ways such as by obtaining proficiency with a proctored exam, CLEP credit, or by completing a course(s).  Speak with your advisor for more information.

b.   I am proficient in a second language; can I take a test to earn language credit?

  • A CLEP exam is available for Spanish, French, and German. Some students may take the CLEP test (College Level Examination Program) for credit; however there are specific rules. 
  • Some language departments do not allow students to earn CLEP exam credit if the student has earned credit for a University or Community College language course. Always check with your desired language department before taking a CLEP exam.
  • Contact the UA Testing Office (520) 621-7589 for more information.

4. Grade Replacement Opportunity (GRO):

a. What happens when you GRO a course?

  • When you file to GRO (Grade Replacement Opportunity) a course, the previous grade that you had received in the identical course will be replaced with the most recent grade. The first grade is taken out of your grade point average. The grade you earn in the class the second time will be the grade calculated into your GPA, even if the grade is lower than the first.
  • You must register for the identical course a second time and file the GRO paperwork via your student center before the GRO deadline. You don't have to GRO a course immediately. Beginning Fall 2011, only students who have attempted 60 or fewer UA credits will be allowed to use GRO.  You have a limit of 3 GRO attempts for 3 courses, or no more than 10 units, during your academic career.
  • You cannot GRO a course at another institution or through correspondence; you may only use the GRO option with University of Arizona courses.
  • Learn more at the Office of the Register.

b. I didn't do very well my first semester. Can I take classes at Pima Community College or another community college to raise my GPA?

  • No, when you take classes at another institution and transfer them to the UA, you will only receive course credit if you have earned a "C" or better in the course(s). Your grade in the course(s) will not be calculated into your UA GPA.

c. Will a correspondence course help improve my GPA?

  • No, grades received for correspondence courses are not calculated into your Grade-point-average.

5. Planning Your Course Schedule:

a. Am I required to be a full time student? How many units do I need for full time status?

  • Full time status is 12 units or more. Some students may need to be full time or more units because of insurance purposes or financial aid or scholarship requirements. Some scholarships require 15 units each semester or 30 units each academic year.  Check with the UA Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid for your specific requirements.

b. When can I enroll for my next semester courses?

  • Incoming freshmen:

You will need to complete your Next Steps in the UAccess Student online portal and then attend  New Student Orientation.  At orientation, you will receive a schedule, meet with your advisor, and have the opportunity to add and change classes for your first semester at UA.

  • If you are a new transfer student:
  • You will need to attend a Transfer Orientation

    After you attend the social, your advisor will be able to clear the advising hold so that you can register for classes.

  • If you are a continuing student:

You can enroll for next semester courses during Priority Registration. Priority Registration is a special block of time when continuing students may register for classes depending on their class standing. Priority registration is the first time you can register for classes so it is very important that you are aware of your priority registration date.  Please view the University Dates and Deadlines to find out when priority registration begins.   This information is also available in UAccess under “enrollment date”.

c. What classes should I register for next semester?

  • It is recommended that you meet with your advisor before your priority registration date to go over your class schedule for the upcoming semester. Also, you may use your Advisement Report to help you go over what classes you still need to take.

6. Major/Minor:

a. I need to change my major to LAW, CJS, POL or PMPC, where do I begin?

  • Students can declare a major during specific times of the year, Winter and Summer.

b. I need to change/add my minor, where do I begin?

  • You may need to speak with an advisor in your minor in order to declare that minor.  A list of advisor contact information is available at, click on “advising contacts”

c.     Where do I find out about my major requirements?

  •   Your Advisement Report will show you all the requirements for your major, minor, and general education. It will also show all the classes you have completed thus far.  Your advisement report is located in Uaccess Student under “My Academics” and “View my advisement report”.  When the report appears, click on the yellow or green box to “view as pdf” (you may need to turn off your pop-up blocker in order to view the pdf version).  It is highly recommended that you see your advisor and review the advisement report together.  

d. Do I have to have a minor?

  • Yes. All degrees in SBS require completion of a minor or second major.  See your advisor for details.

7. Math Requirement:

a. Do I need to complete math to earn my degree?

  • Yes. All SGPP majors require students to complete a Foundations Math requirement.
  • CJS, PMPC, and POL majors must complete either MATH 107, MATH 112, or a higher level math course. These majors must also complete SBS 200; this course can also complete the foundation math requirement for CJS, PMPC, and POL majors.   
  • Law majors must complete MATH 112 or a higher level Math course.  Law majors may also complete SBS 200 to fulfill their Math requirement.

b. Can I use a substitute math course for my foundation math requirement?

  • No. SGPP does not accept any math substitutions for any reason.

c. Where can I find instructions on how to complete a Math Placement Exam?

d. Where can I practice my math skills in preparation for a math placement exam?

8. Transferring Credits from Colleges and Exams (AP, IB, CLEP), Class Standing:

a. I have AP credits, CLEP credits, and also some community college credits I earned while I was in high school. Will all of these be elective credits, or can they be used to fulfill general education requirements, and/or major and minor requirements?

  • It is possible that some credits may fulfill general education requirements, major requirements or minor requirements. You need to meet with your advisor to determine which requirements are satisfied by your transferred credits.  Please make an appointment with your advisor.  If you are a brand new transfer student, you must attend a New Transfer Student Orientation.

b. I am very knowledgeable in areas such as math, science, and language. Is it possible to meet any of my degree requirements by testing out of them?

  • It may be possible. The UA accepts the nationally recognized College-Level Examination Program (CLEP). While credit may be awarded with the appropriate testing score, it is imperative that you speak to your academic advisor prior to taking any CLEP Exam.  Refer to the General Catalog for further CLEP policy clarification.

c. This is my first year at the University of Arizona, but I am considered a sophomore. How does class standing work?

  • Class Standing is determined by the number of credits you have completed.
  • Freshman 0-29 units completed
  • Sophomore 30-59 units completed
  • Junior 60-89 units completed
  • Senior 90+ units completed

d. Can I take summer classes at another college or university that will count toward my degree at UA?

  • Yes, you may take classes at another college or university to fulfill University of Arizona requirements. If the college is within the state of Arizona, refer to the Course Equivalency Guide online to see if a course is transferrable.  If the college is outside of Arizona, you must complete the Transfer Credit Pre-approval Form to verify that the institution is an accredited University or College, and you need to meet with your advisor to find out how the transfer courses will apply to your degree program. You must receive a "C" or better in order to have the credit transferred to the University of Arizona.

e.  I plan to attend an Arizona Community College for my first two years of college, and then transfer to UA.  What should I do to prepare?

  • We highly recommend that you complete the AGEC.  AGEC stands for Arizona General Education Curriculum. It is a common structure of general education classes that can be taken at an Arizona Community College and used to fulfill University General Education requirements at the three Arizona Universities: UA, NAU, or ASU. The AGEC is a minimum of 35 semester units of lower division general education courses. AGEC completion fulfills all lower-division general education requirements such as Composition, Mathematics, Tier 1 and Tier 2. AGEC does not cover Second Language requirements or prerequisites for specific majors or minors even though these classes may be available at a community college and may transfer. To be sure a class taken at a community college transfers, please refer to the Course Equivalency Guide or speak with an advisor.
  • Pima Community College also offers a transfer student success strategies course: STU 210.  This course will cover information on transferring to the University and can help to ease the transition.  We do recommend completing this course before transferring to UA.

f.  How do I know if a class I have taken at a community college will transfer to the UA?

  • If the course was taken at an Arizona Community College, you can use the Course Equivalency Guide to check the equivalency.  You can also contact your advisor for additional information.
  • If the course was taken at an out of state school, please contact your advisor so that they can evaluate the course(s).

g. I have AP credits, how do they transfer?

  • AP credits can fulfill many University requirements including general education, major, or minor requirements.  Please contact your advisor to ensure the courses are correctly substituted for UA courses.

h. Where do I send my transcript from other colleges or universities?

  • For Continuing Students:
  • Transfer Evaluation
    Office of Curriculum & Registration
    The University of Arizona
    P.O. Box 210066
    Tucson, AZ 85721-0066
    *If you are a graduating senior please hand deliver your official, sealed transcript to your Graduation Services Advisor.

9. University Policies, Procedures, and Deadlines:

a. Will someone contact me and tell me when I have to register and when deadlines are for things like Priority Registration, GRO, paying fees, etc.?

  • No, it is your responsibility to know University dates and deadlines.  You can view the dates and deadlines at the University Calendar.  We recommend that you note these deadlines in your agenda, calendar, or phone's calendar system so that you do not miss important deadlines.

b. I was very ill last semester and missed a lot of classes, I notified my instructors that I would have to miss classes, but some of them didn't allow me to make up the work so I failed some classes. Is there anything else I should have done? Anything I can do now?

  • You have many options when an illness or personal issue arises that affects your ability to stay in classes.  You should see your advisor right away to discuss your different options to withdraw, receive an incomplete grade, etc.

c.  Where can I look up academic policies at the University of Arizona for my catalog year?

d.  I need to take a semester off from school.  What should I do?

  • File a Leave of Absence. You can print the LOA form . In order to qualify for a Leave of Absence you must have a cumulative GPA of 2.0 or higher, you must be registered for the semester immediately before the beginning of your leave, your University account must be paid in full, and you must have no pending disciplinary action.  Please review the deadline to submit a LOA form on the dates and deadlines website above.  LOA forms for SBS students can be submitted to Douglass Building Room 101.

e.  I have received a grade that I feel should have been higher, what procedure should I follow?

  • The first step is to speak with your instructor and explain your concerns about the grade that you received and why you believe it was given incorrectly. If the instructor does not agree to change the grade and you still feel the grade was awarded incorrectly, you may file a Grade Appeal.  If the course is an SBS course, please contact the SBS Dean’s Office 520-621-1112.

f.  I need to apply for degree candidacy (start my degree check) when and how should I do this?                                           

  • You should apply for degree candidacy (also referred to as "starting degree check") after you have enrolled for your final semester.  Please meet with your advisor to discuss the degree check process.        

10. Academic Distinction:

a. What are the requirements for the Dean's List, List with Distinction, and Honorable Mention awards?

  • Dean's List With Distinction: Identifies students enrolled within each college who have earned 15 or more units of semester credit with a Grade Point Average of 4.000.
  • Dean's List: Identifies students enrolled within each college who have earned 15 or more units of semester credit with a Grade Point Average of 3.500 - 3.999.
  • Dean's List-- Honorable Mention: Identifies students enrolled within each college who have earned 12-14 units of semester credit with a Grade Point Average of 3.500 - 4.000

11. Finding Help When You Need It:

a.  I feel overwhelmed! I'm having a hard time coping! Where can I find help?
  • Make an appointment to see your advisor.  Advisors are here to help or to refer you to the appropriate campus resource. The University of Arizona also offers specialized counseling and psychological services. Follow this link for more information: CAPS

b.  I feel very lost.  Are there upper class students in our school that can assist me with my transition to college?

  • Yes, the department has peer mentors on staff to assist you!  To contact a peer mentor, please submit an email to SBS-SGPPADVISING@EMAIL.ARIZONA.EDU and in the subject type "To Peer Mentor."  Your advisor is also able to assist you.  To schedule an appointment or view available walk-in hours, please click here and log in with your Net ID and password.
c.  Where can I find tutoring on campus?
  • The Think Tank now located in the Bear Down Gym offers a variety of tutoring services. For more information visit their website here: Think Tank
d.  Where can I find a listing of campus resources?
  • There are many resources available for students.  You may contact your advisor to find out about resources that will fit your needs.

e.  I am going on study abroad next semester and I need my classes evaluated to see if they will apply to my major.  What do I do?

  • Start by visiting the UA Study Abroad website and office to discuss your interest. You will need to provide your advisor with the course descriptions of the courses you want to take study abroad.  Make an appointment with your advisor to discuss your study abroad plan.